Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Where Soviet Monuments Go to Die

It's been unseasonably warm here in Budapest, so we've had some nice family outings to see various sights.
My wife and eldest son share a happy moment during the expedition
One place we had heard about but could find no one who had actually gone to see it was Memento Park, a place just outside of Budapest where they decided to put all the old Soviet monuments and statues after Hungary regained her independence. As you can imagine, it was a pretty surreal outdoor museum.
Statues at the entrance to the park
Lenin welcomes you!

My youngest son being attacked by the Red Army
...and standing near a very large statue!

11 comments:

  1. Some of their statues were quite surreal, but despite what they stood for, you still have to admire the workmanship and the 'art' in them. It's worth preserving them for the sake of history, so well done the Hungarians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty impressive. Must be weird seeing them all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. So much cool art. And man, Ted! Your son is looking so old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those statues are nuts! I'd love to take a look around though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool park to discover and explore. I think it is so neat that they preserved them and put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really an odd collection. A statue in every style imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. so big!!!
    i really like the hands with the ball- that sucker is nifty!
    bytheby, HI!!! i've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures Ted. Your son is very handsome. I have no doubt that he takes after his father. Keep your family close and your treasures shall be endless. Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that those weren't just destroyed, those are some pretty valuable monuments to a significant moment in history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ted, I'm visiting because the title of your post caught my eye, (old Soviet monuments). I've read some Russian authors, but not many. Budapest has always intrigued hubby, so it's interesting to see photos of your current city of residence.

    I tend to write about Paris since we recently visited there in 2010 (that's recent in my book).

    Am now following, and will check in every now and then. Please have a look at my Paris photos on my blog if you're interested. (cafes, buildings, monuments and info)

    ReplyDelete