Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mood Music

Apologies for posting about music again. As much as I love reading and writing, music is my deeper love.

If I were a better musician I most likely wouldn't be doing this book writing stuff, because music runs through my veins. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to buy a guitar until I was in my twenties, I couldn't afford lessons and had to teach myself, and a few years ago I broke my left hand so badly that I can now only play with three fingers. So, writing it is, except that I give myself the right to blog about music when I feel like it.

I was thinking about how curious it is that my mood for music swings so dramatically throughout the day. Almost each day while driving to work I play loud metal -- Filter, White Zombie, Soundgarden, Tool, APC, Green Day and so forth.


When I am at home on my computer, though, I have been listening to quiet stuff, mainly the gorgeous "Memories of Green" from the Blade Runner soundtrack and my favorite Enya song "The Council of Elrond."

What is your mood music these days?

10 comments:

  1. i LOVE music (but have no musical talent- at all). i like to listen to music that fits my mood, too.

    if i'm feeling upbeat it's fast or funny music: most green day, blink 182, brad paisley, flight of the conchords, the double rainbow song :)...

    but if i'm not too cheery, i can't stand upbeat music. then it's all aerosmith, breaking benjamin, cranberries, we are the fallen...

    and when writing i tend to find music that fits the scene (but it can't be fast- i get distracted) or music that is mellow: not without grace, hammock, kurt nielson and buds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like alot of different kinds, and you know- use what ever inspires you, just because you in reality can't be the musician you want, doesn't mean a MC can't be- or can't over come realities adversity and be one any way, or you could be a writer about music,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love music and picked up the guitar a few years ago. We obviously have similar tastes in music, too! I'm still jamming to Redemption at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops, sorry about that. Anyway, hi Ted. I'm a big music lover, and I find very much that the time of day, and even the weather, effects the kind of music I feel like listening to. Early in the morning it's usually 60s stuff, like the Beatles, the Doors, early Stones etc. In the car it's something more high energy; I'm a Soundgarden fan too, and Badmotorfinger is a favourite. Late at night, something more atmospheric, like 80s Sonic Youth or The Cure. But while I'm writing, I need something less song-orientated, so I go for some Miles Davis or John Coltrane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love so much of the same music that you all list. I have really broad tastes, though I don't count rap/hip hop and most country. Today's girly music doesn't appeal to me either. Classic rock to metal to Leanard Cohen and Simon & Garfunkel to Cranberries to Doors, I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all music as long as it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ted-it sounds like you and I have very similar music taste--I like the metal or grunge end of rock best most of the time, but slide very easily into alternative. There is a distinct preference for dark or melancholy ALMOST all the time--only real exception is that I love reggae or the steal drummy stuff when I'm at my neighbor's pool. I tend to classify my mood as mellow or loud and the mellow is stuff like 10,000 Maniacs or Cowboy Junkies, while the loud could have come off your list. (I tolerate a little country--coming from Idaho, it's required) but not the super twangy end of it... I stick to the more mainstream (though I love Johnnie Cash)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a tiny bit of country that I love, but I don't truly consider it to be country. That would be Kris Kristofferson and the original Outlaws album.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the moment, my favorite mood music is just about anything by Ludovico Einaudi. Thanks for sharing your query with us on Matt's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete