Friday, April 2, 2010

Favorite Writing Song

I don't often listen to music when I write, but I often do while editing. Since I have mainly been working on a fantasy work, the song that I play over and over again is my edited version of Enya's "Council of Elrond".

This is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.  Oddly enough, I don't much like Enya's other work, especially those songs with choruses. I do like the other song she did for LOTR, "May It Be", but not nearly as much as I love this song. Unfortunately I have no way of letting you hear my edited version, which I much prefer to the long one. The real song goes on far too long, while I fade it out just after the last vocal. I think it is perfect that way.

I like to put it on repeat and just work away on my book with the music playing in the background. It's funny, but even though Enya is singing in English, it sounds so Elven to me. I think it would have worked well in Gaelic also.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ted, that sounds inspiring! I love all the music from the Lord of the Rings films, but being a Tolkien fanatic I'm probably a bit biased.

    That's too bad you can't share your remixed version.

    Shameless promotion:

    Please visit my blog and comment today. I have a post by guest blogger Justine Dell where she shares an ACTUAL query letter of hers that found success.

    She is a wonderful lady, always willing to help another writer and I would really like her to get the recognition she deserves.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to comment twice on your blog, but it errored out both times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when thinking of fantasy, i immediately think of Supertramp's first (self-titled) album. try it:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertramp_(album)

    ReplyDelete